Thursday, August 25, 2011

TEACH US TO NUMBER OUR DAYS


Dear Lord~

One of today’s headlines reads: Apple CEO Jobs Resigns  It is followed by an explanation that it is most likely due to his health issues.  I’m sure the public has long watched this man with a variety of emotions, but if that diagnosis is correct, right now my guess is nobody wants to walk in his shoes. 

What a good reminder this is, Lord, of the scripture that our times are in your hands (Psalms 31:5).  You know that is one of my favorite verses.  Another is, “Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” (Psalm 90:12 NIV)

Because he is a public figure, Mr. Jobs has been observed far more than most of us would have been in a life battle with cancer.  His extreme weight loss has been uncomfortable to observe, bringing deep empathy from me.  As a survivor of breast cancer, I know You see how I long for any person with a cancer diagnosis to one day hear, “All clear!  No more cancer!”  Mr. Jobs has not even had the opportunity to try to heal privately.  Now, with all he has had going for him in this world, my prayer is that he realizes how much he needs You, Lord.  Hopefully, he understood long before this and had been seeking You all along. 

Mr. Jobs was on my mind as I was out in our little back yard thinking how physically easy it was for me to take pictures of the tiny Texas Bindweed flowers.  I considered the possibility that Mr. Jobs might wish he were able to do such a simple thing.  All the money he has will not purchase the opportunity I was given this morning.  Thank You for providing such pleasures for me each day.  I mean to always remember to thank You for each of these blessings, dear Lord.  I never want to take any of this for granted, or act like You owe it to me for any reason.

Dear Lord, I find great comfort when I read Psalm 139.  The imagery contained in it is so beautiful.  Thank You for giving Your Word to us.  In thinking about Mr. Jobs, verse 16 stood out as of particular importance:

 “Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Your book were all written
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them.” (NASB)

I hope Mr. Jobs knows You and knows that You have always had, and do have, plans for him.  You know that I wish him well, dear Lord.  I’d love to be able to rejoice sometime next year by reading headlines that state: Former Apple CEO Jobs Declared Cancer Free! My prayer for him is that regardless of the timing, he be prepared when he comes to the end of the days that You have ordained for him…and so may it be for me. 

Teach us to number our days.

M. Sue        8-25-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment